Coconut Cake has always been one of those baked goods I felt like you had to be a good baker to make. I have been doing more and more baking recently and felt like I wanted a challenge.
This weekend, I took the challenge and made my first ever Coconut Cake.
I wasn’t afraid of the cake, it is relatively simple, a 1-2-3-4 cake that substitutes coconut milk for regular milk.
My worry came with the icing, I had never used a double-boiler , but thankfully all went well and the cake was a success.
For some reason it didn’t rise as much as I thought it would, but all in all I am happy with my first attempt.
Jamie’s Coconut Cake
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Prep Time:30 min
Inactive Prep Time: — Cook Time:25 min
Serves: 1 (3-layer) cake
Basic 1-2-3-4 Cake but substitute 1 cup canned, unsweetened coconut milk for regular milk, recipe follows
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
1 recipe 7-minute Frosting
Flaked, sweetened coconut, for sprinkling
Follow directions for Basic 1-2-3-4 Cake, substituting coconut milk for regular milk. While cake is baking, prepare filling. Stir together sugar, sour cream, milk, and coconut in a bowl until well blended. Remove cake layers from oven and allow cake to remain in pans as you prepare to stack and fill. Remove first layer and invert onto cake plate. Using the wrong end of a wooden spoon, poke holes approximately 1-inch apart until entire cake has been poked. Spread 1/3 of filling mixture on cake layer. Top with second layer, repeat process. Top with last layer and repeat process again. (As I stack layers together I stick them with toothpicks to prevent cake from shifting).
Prepare 7-Minute Frosting. Frost top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top and sides of cakes with additional coconut.
Yield: 1 (3-layer) cake
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy
Basic 1-2-3-4 Cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup milk – SUBSTITUTE 1 CUP OF CANNED UNSWEETENED COCONUT MILK
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely and spread cake layers with your favorite frosting to make a 3-layer cake.
Yield: 3 layer cakes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Place sugar, cream of tartar or corn syrup, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a handheld electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. (If this happens, it could cause your frosting to become grainy). Beat constantly on high-speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Coconut Tres Leches Cake – A Hint of Honey (secretfoods.wordpress.com)
- Coconut Cream Cupcakes (butterbasilandbreadcrumbs.com)
- Preacher Cake (thenoncookingcook.com)
- Sweet potato cake and cuppies (glacedelarevolution.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday Coconut Frosting (aspoonfulofsugarbaking.com)
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake (GF, of course!) (designedforcreativity.wordpress.com)
- Roasted apple layer cake (csmonitor.com)
- coffee-cinnamon frosting (recipe) (everything2.com)
- Sweet Noodles in Coconut Milk Recipe (Salim) (sanaekhanomthai.wordpress.com)
- Sticky date coconut cake (divinespicebox.com)
- Adam Levine Cradles Adorable Puppy on ‘Today Show’! (justjared.com)
- Adam Levine & Behati Prinsloo Hold Hands for Apartment Hunting (justjared.com)
- Adam Levine To Be Named Sexiest Man Alive 2013 (kvil.cbslocal.com)
- Adam Levine Discusses Overshadowing Contestants On The Voice (popwrapped.wordpress.com)
- Adam Levine “Sexiest Man Alive” 2013 (ksfm.cbslocal.com)
- Nina Agdal on Adam Levine’s Engagement to Behati Prinsloo: ‘I’m Happy for Them’ (aceshowbiz.com)
- Will Adam Levine Be Named People’s Sexiest Man Alive? (radioalice.cbslocal.com)
- Maroon 5: New Album Exposed (audiomob.wordpress.com)