Elton John Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me
Notes from my Summer Vacation
Mercifully Big Brother 15 will come to an end sometime this week. I didn’t even watch the “highlights” show last night because the season has had so few of them I didn’t think it was worth my time. Hopefully CBS will not let another season like this one hit the airwaves.
Ok, I was number 401
So this is what we have come to…. bigots harassing a beauty queen, an AMERICAN, future doctor who apparently by some people’s standards is disqualified because of her skin color. SAD! Miss America
Sunset, St. John’s River, Fernandina Beach, FL 9.6.13
Vacation was needed, deserved and appreciated. Some of the things I learned on my summer vacation….
- This vacation was as much a “working” vacation as anything. With daddy moving into assisted living, my 23 yr old niece will be moving into the house. Obviously she doesn’t want to live in a house decorated over 40 years by her grandparents. The main objective of the trip was for me to go through the house and trash, donate, take or use what was there.
- Sorting through 40 years of memories is at times heart-warming at times heart-breaking and always difficult. It occurred to me while going through the papers and photos, that after this trip I no longer have a home in God’s Country. After mama died, I still had my home because daddy lived there, now he no longer lives in the house and we are moving on, sadly we are moving on.
- Evidently I have always enjoyed writing. I wrote daily letters to my parents from summer camp that my mother found the need to keep, along with every sketch, photo, report card and playbill, football program or spelling test of my brothers and I.
- Seeing the Dawgs beat South Carolina is always nice, seeing it happen IN Georgia is perfection. A Gator loss is perfection anywhere!
- Family hikes are awesome and the pay-off reinforces my belief that my homeland really is God’s Country….
- Boot Camp with a 23 yr old will KICK YOUR BUTT!
- A feisty 82-year-old man is still plenty feisty.
- As much fun as nieces and nephews are when they are cute little babies, they can be even more fun as adults!
- Friends from childhood are blessings that continue to give.
- Taking a sabbatical from social media is good for the soul… difficult but good.
- Having a sabbatical from social media end is good for the soul…. much easier than the start.
- For Lita Rumsey, a couch is a couch is a couch.
- At 84, my Aunt Beck is still the best traveling companion I have ever had.
- Some memories mean nothing to anyone but me. This set of dishware sat atop my mother’s refrigerator for as long as I can remember, now it will hold a special place of honor in my home, in recognition of a lifetime of memories and blessings.
- Vacations are never long enough, but there’s really no place like home!
Life’s Playlist….Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me by Elton John