In the magazine the recipe is for Pork Tacos with Black Beans, I substituted ground turkey. If you want to be consistent with the magazine just substitute ground pork every time I list ground turkey.
Let me just give you advance notice, the dish taste a lot better than it photographs!
TURKEY TACOS WITH BLACK BEANS
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz. can of black beans (do not drain)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used 2% cheese)
1 pound ground turkey
1 small red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
/12 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Kosher salt (I left this step out as I do not cook with salt)
1 bell pepper (any color)
1 zucchini, quartered and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Fresh ground black pepper
Corn tortillas, warmed
1. Heat 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add half of the garlic and cook, stirring until golden, about 1 minute. Add the beans and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with cheese and cover to keep warm.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, remaining garlic, half of the onion, the cumin, cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon of salt (again, I do not use salt.) Cook, stirring until the turkey is browned, about 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in the skillet. (I left the juices from the turkey and vegetables in as well.) Add the bell pepper, zucchini and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Return the turkey to the skillet; add a splash of water, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Fill the tortillas with the pork and vegetable mixtures. Serve with the beans. Sprinkle with chopped onion.
This was an easy recipe that from start to plating took less than 30 minutes. Perfect for a Sunday evening dinner and when I warmed up the left overs in the microwave at work everyone was raving about how good it smelled.
Thanks Food Network for another amazing recipe! I will add this to my regulars list.
(Again, photo does not do this dish justice!)
- Summertime Turkey Burgers (fitstyled.wordpress.com)
- Pork Tacos – tasty and a bit different! (cookingandmyfamily.wordpress.com)
- The Mexican Dirty Rice (thegrecianneworleanian.com)
- Classic Shrimp Gobernador Tacos (bewitchingkitchen.com)
- Pork Tacos with Black Beans (graciesravioli.com)
- Blackened Tilapia Tacos (chefontheside2013.wordpress.com)
- Green Curry Mung Beans with Spinach (iflookscouldkale.com)