I would suspect like most Americans, before his announcement I had never heard of Jason Collins, a hardworking guy who had used his talents with various organizations to help them succeed. HHMMM, interesting.
Before hearing about Jason Collins coming out of the closet I never knew he was a twin to a heterosexual pro Basketball player, a guy who loves his parents and wanted to honor them with his actions and life. Now I do.
Before hearing about Jason Collins coming out, I never knew anything about him, I guess you could say, before his public announcement, I would have just assumed Jason Collins was a hardworking American who loved his family, his career and worked hard every day to make a difference. Now I know he’s gay.
So now we know who Jason Collins is….he’s a hardworking American who loves his family, his career and works hard every day to make a difference…..oh, yeah he’s also gay.
Some call Jason Collins a hero, I understand that. Because of his actions he has shown boys around the world that it is ok to be themselves, excel in their chosen profession, honor their family, their employer and their country…. and be gay.
Jason Collins is a hero because he helps to shatter the stereotype of a limp-wristed, lisping queen. Collins is a fouling, trash-talking center that isn’t afraid to fight for his team and victory.
In my view what makes Jason Collins a real hero is that he is a man, a hardworking man, a family man, a man who happens to be gay.
He is the first to make this announcement and hopefully he won’t be the last, hopefully those still to come will do so with the class and dignity of Jason Collins.
Hopefully one day, a professional athlete will come out and the reaction of the public will be…….. and……
When people are able to live their lives with grace, free of prejudice or stereotype, then, and only then, can we truly be a people who honors life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all our fellow-man.
- A Friendly Reminder of Why Jason Collins’ Announcement Matters (thefarmclub.net)
- NBA Player Jason Collins Comes Out as Gay Man (justjared.com)
- NBA veteran Jason Collins comes out as gay (onlineathens.com)
- NBA Center Jason Collins: ‘I’m Gay’ (towleroad.com)
- Jason Collins comes out as gay NBA player (aol.sportingnews.com)
- Lady Antebellum’s Performance At Stagecoach 2013 (kfrog.cbslocal.com)
- Lady Antebellum Celebrates Upcoming Album Release at Disneyland (allysoninwonderland.net)
- Lady Antebellum, Rod Stewart, and more to perform on ‘The Voice’ (louisianamultiverse.wordpress.com)
- Lady Antebellum Reveal ‘Goodbye Town,’ New Track From ‘Golden’ (knue.com)
- Lady Antebellum, Pharrell, T.I. taking stage on The Voice (pharrellinspiration.com)