The senator’s comments were a reversal of his previous position dating back to 1996 when he voted in favor of DOMA as a member of the House.
Senator Portman, a Republican, has publicly been an ardent opponent of gay marriage until yesterday.
His shift in ideology began two years ago when his son, a college Freshman at Yale University came out as a gay man.
This week’s Hero could be Senator Rob Portman, but it isn’t, no, the REAL hero of this story is Will Portman the young son of Sen. Portman who spoke out.
Will Portman and many other young Americans like him are changing the face of our nation. By simply living their lives as productive citizens, honoring who they are, their legacies and their futures they are forging a path that will eventually bring equality to all.
This young generation of gay Americans is proving that their lives are no different from their heterosexual brothers and sisters and they deserve the same rights and recognition.
For their convictions, for their dignity and for changing hearts and minds one life at a time, I choose Young Gay America represented by Will Portman as the Friday’s Hero for March 15, 2013.
- Senator Rob Portman reveals he has a gay son, now supports same-sex marriage (thesunnews.typepad.com)
- GOP Senator Rob Portman Comes Out for Marriage Equality After His Son Comes Out as Gay: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Senator Rob Portman Now Supports Gay Marriage (slog.thestranger.com)
- Ohio Senator Rob Portman Announces Support For Marriage Equality (buzzfeed.com)
- Portman, Saying Son Is Gay, Now Backs Gay Marriage (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- GOP’s Rob Portman announces support for same-sex marriage – NBCNews.com (nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com)