Today was the Annual Frenchman’s Creek Beach & Country Club External Affairs Luncheon, and Murphy was one of the guest speakers.
I came away from today’s luncheon very impressed with Murphy.
His comments were off the cuff, he made no excuses for why things are not getting done in Washington and he spoke about what he thinks is wrong with our present day politic. He did not back away from any topic and criticized both Democrats and Republicans equally, including the President.
Congressman Murphy told us about a meeting he coordinated last week with 31 other freshman Congressmen and women, both Democratic and Republican, where they drafted a letter to the leaders on both sides of the aisle and the President of the United States. (Freshman Congresswoman Lois Frankel did not attend the meeting.)
In the letter, as Murphy described it, they informed leadership that they were elected to work together and that they would NOT be participating in the politics of the past of party rule and party line votes.
I was very happy to hear this.
Murphy also expressed his support and has the vote to back it up, where he crossed over the aisle and supported a Republican initiative that stated if Congress and the President have not adopted a budget by April 15th they do not get paid.
Murphy voted on the prevailing side with only a few other Democrats in support of the initiative. Sadly, Congresswoman Frankel towed the party line and voted against the initiative standing with Nancy Pelosi and the majority of the other Democrats.
Murphy appears to be a breath of fresh air in Washington, I hope that he and the other members of his Freshman class who are committed to making a difference for America can make a dent in the politics of destruction and party rule.
It was a pleasure to see the Congressman and I look forward to his tenure representing ALL of the people of his district.
- Congressman Patrick Murphy statement on State of the Union address (tcpalm.com)
- Congressman Patrick Murphy, The Man Who Defeated Allan West, Poised For Success (alan.com)
- Vice President Joe Biden attends party for new Congressman Patrick Murphy (irishcentral.com)
- What Congressman Patrick Murphy said about inauguration ceremony (tcpalm.com)
- Patrick Murphy: I’m acting in bipartisan fashion; will President Barack Obama do same tonight in State of the Union speech? (tcpalm.com)
- Murphy breaks with most Democrats on balanced budget vote (postonpolitics.com)