My friends in God’s Country will slap me when they read this but…. it’s cold in South Florida.
Today the temperature hasn’t gotten above 60 and was in the low 40s when I woke up this morning. I realize that is springtime for much of the country, but in south Florida that is about as cold as it gets.
With the cooler temps, today was a day for comfort food. Chicken Chili in the crock pot and cornbread.
I put the chili in the crock pot this morning and by mid afternoon it was ready for my first bowl.
This is a simple dish to make, the hardest part is the can opener used to get everything opened.
Brown 1 pound of ground chicken
Once browned add with the following ingredients to a crock pot and cook on low for several hours. (Approximately 4)
2 large cans of diced tomatoes
1 package of chili seasoning mix
1 can pinto beans (15.5 oz)
1 can kidney beans (15.5 oz)
1 can black beans (15.5 oz)
medium size onion chopped
Mix cornmeal, buttermilk and one egg
Place in small black iron skillet
Cook approximately 35 minutes at 400
I will admit, cold weather south Florida style isn’t what it is in most parts of the country, but it is fun to pretend and bring out some of my favorite snowday recipes from God’s Country.
- Three Bean Turkey Chili w/ Cornbread (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Southern Crockpot Soups: White Bean Chicken Chili (southernfood.answers.com)
- Beat the Heat: Southern-style Spicy Chicken Chili (southernfood.answers.com)
- Delicious Crockpot Recipes: White Bean Chicken Chili (southernfood.answers.com)
- Chili with cornbread *waffles* & avocado (elianasgardens.wordpress.com)
- Golden Sweet Cornbread (avanilladaydream.wordpress.com)